Vermicelli Rice Pilaf
At the holidays, I use butter and white rice in this recipe, just like my mom and generations of Armenian women did. But most days I saute the vermicelli in olive oil and substitute brown rice for white. —Jean Ecos, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup broken uncooked vermicelli (1-inch lengths)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Whole chives, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute vermicelli in butter for 4-5 minutes or
- until golden brown. Add the broth, rice, water, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or
- until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Top with chives if desired.
- Yield: 8 servings.