Venison Cordon Bleu
In Clear, Alaska, reader Janette Yingling rolls up venison tenderloin with thin slices of ham and Swiss cheese before baking. She serves the attractive venison rolls with crusty French bread for dipping in the broth.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 venison tenderloin steaks (5 to 6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 4 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup beef broth
- Sliced French bread, optional
- Flatten steaks to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- top each with a slice of cheese and ham; roll up tightly. Secure
- with toothpicks.
- In a large skillet, brown roll-ups in butter on all sides. Transfer
- to an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Pour broth over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a meat
- thermometer reads 160° and the meat juices run clear. Serve
- roll-ups and pan juices with French bread if desired. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 218 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 20 g protein.