- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in the butter
- and shortening until crumbly. Combine water, vinegar and vanilla.
- Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough
- forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 8 hours or
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie
- plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- Beat egg wash ingredients; brush over pastry.
- For filling, melt butter and chocolate in a microwave; stir until
- smooth. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs,
- molasses, vanilla and salt. Stir in chopped pecans and butter
- mixture. Pour into pastry. Arrange pecan halves over filling.
- Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 15
- minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 784 calories, 49 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 138 mg cholesterol, 493 mg sodium, 88 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.