- With a wooden paddle or spoon, stir rice with a slicing motion to
- cool slightly. Cover with a damp cloth to keep moist. (Rice mixture
- may be made up to 6 hours ahead and stored at room temperature,
- covered with a damp towel. Do not refrigerate.)
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1
- in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or
- until crisp-tender.
- Place sushi mat on a work surface so mat rolls away from you; line
- with plastic wrap. Place 2/3 cup rice on plastic; with moistened
- fingers, press rice into an 8-in. square. Top with one nori sheet.
- Arrange a small amount of vegetables and avocado about 1-1/2 in. from
- bottom edge of nori sheet. Lifting bottom edge of the bamboo mat,
- roll up the rice mixture jelly-roll style, being sure to lift
- plastic from rice. Roll bamboo mat over sushi roll, pressing firmly,
- to make a more compact roll. When the roll is complete, tighten the
- roll to make more compact. Remove mat; cover roll and set aside.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make seven rolls.
- Cut each into six pieces. Serve with soy sauce and wasabi. Yield: 42
Nutrition Facts: 6 rolls (calculated without soy sauce and wasabi) equals 290 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 221 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer