Valerie Belley of St. Louis, Missouri stir-fries a medley of six vegetables to create this colorful side dish for two that she serves on a bed of rice. "It's hard to believe to beat this elegant dish.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, julienned
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 6 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch, water and soy sauce until
- smooth; set aside. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the broccoli,
- carrot and onion in oil for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, zucchini,
- mushrooms and garlic. Stir-fry until vegetables are tender. Stir soy
- sauce mixture; add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened. Serve
- with rice if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium soy sauce and calculated without rice) equals 150 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 939 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.