Veggie Mac 'n' Cheese
"I plant a nice-sized garden every year," relates Barbie Noffsinger of Reno, Nevada. "I came up with this quick combination when trying to think of a different way to fix and abundance of zucchini and yellow squash. Everyone enjoyed it, so I fixed ti again the next week and it was just as good."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2/3 cup cooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large skillet, saute carrot in butter for 2 minutes. Add onion;
- cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Add zucchini and summer squash; cook
- for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, milk, salt and pepper. Stir into
- skillet. Add macaroni; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and
- cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 379 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 1,038 mg sodium,