This brothy soup features potatoes, carrots and corn for a delightful entree. Since it's not too heavy, this soup would also be nice alongside sandwiches. —Vicki Kerr, Portland, Maine
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons real bacon bits
- In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, broth, carrots and onion;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or
- until vegetables are tender.
- Add corn, milk, cheese, mushrooms and pepper; cook and stir 4-6
- minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield:
- 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 178 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 554 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.