"We created these quick vegetable patties to use up some of our garden bounty," relates Mary James from Port Orchard, Washington. "To suit your family's tastes, include more of the vegetables you like and leave out the ones you don't for a specialty sandwich that's all your own."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 medium uncooked potato, peeled and grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- Pepper to taste
- 12 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- Sliced red onion and lettuce leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Pour about 1/2
- cup batter onto a hot griddle lightly coated with cooking spray. Fry
- for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve on toasted
- bread with onion and lettuce if desired. Yield: 6 burgers.
Nutrition Facts: One burger (calculated without bread) equals 57 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.