Vegetarian White Bean Soup
The home economists in our Test Kitchen simmered up this fresh-tasting meatless soup. Hearty with two kinds of beans, it makes a satisfying entree. Round out the meal with Walnut Zucchini Muffins or warm dinner rolls.
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrot
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the zucchini, onion, celery and carrot in
- oil for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15
- minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 171 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,047 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.