Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
The meat won’t be missed in this vegetarian version of sloppy Joes. Linda Winter of Oak Harbor, Washington preserves the flavor of a classic dish while improving its nutritional profile.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, melt butter
- over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir
- in meat crumbles and pepper; heat through.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir until blended. Stir in ketchup
- and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or
- until thickened. Serve in buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 273 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 815 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.