Vegetable and Barley Pilaf
Hearty, colorful, easy and fast were the reviews we gave this good-for-you dish. Barley has a healthy amount of soluble fiber, which aids digestion. And it can help to lower cholesterol, too! You can easily substitute other fresh veggies you have on hand. —Jesse Klausmeier, Burbank, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Saute zucchini and carrot in butter in a large saucepan until
- crisp-tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in the onions, marjoram, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat;
- cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 219 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 480 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 9 g protein.