Vegetable Wild Rice
A convenient packaged rice mix gives a jump start to this simple side dish from Helen Jacobs of Canton, Michigan. A bright blend of veggies adds color, and the cost - only 52 cents per serving - is easy on your budget.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup diced yellow summer squash
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large saucepan, place rice mix, contents of seasoning packet and
- water as directed on package. Bring to a boil. Add carrots. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender and
- water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute squash, peppers and onion in oil until
- crisp-tender. Stir into rice mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: The cost per serving does not include optional ingredients such as garnishes. When there is a choice of two ingredients, the cost is figured with the first one listed.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 159 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 388 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.