Vegetable Turkey Hoagies
Flavored cram cheese dresses up these tasty turkey and sweet pepper sandwiches from Lauren Larson, Orrville, Ohio. "A friend makes them for picnic lunches," she says. "You can substitute deli chicken for the turkey."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 loaves (8 ounces each) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup spreadable garden vegetable cream cheese
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced deli smoked turkey
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Stir
- in salt and pepper. Hollow out the top and bottom of loaves,
- leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another
- use); spread cream cheese over cut sides. Top with turkey and
- sauteed vegetables. Cut in half. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 404 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 1,466 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein.