- In a large saucepan, saute the tomatoes, mushrooms, red pepper,
- yellow squash, zucchini, carrot, onion and garlic in oil until
- crisp-tender. Stir in the tomato paste, broth, brown sugar and
- seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30
- minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg and ricotta cheese. Spread 1 cup
- vegetable mixture in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Layer with
- two noodles (trimming to fit), half of the ricotta mixture, about
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable mixture and two more noodles. Top with
- remaining ricotta mixture, noodles and vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheeses and Italian seasoning. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 432 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 857 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.