Vegetable Cheese Soup
"This recipe originally came from my pastor's wife," explains Michelle Isenhoff of Wayland, Michigan. "I've made a few changes for convenience's sake, and now it's a snap to whip up. It tastes even better the next day."
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen California-blend vegetables, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup process cheese sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the
- flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in broth and vegetables. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20
- minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in cheddar cheese
- and cheese sauce; cook until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 324 calories, 23 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 948 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.