Vegetable Bean Soup
This soup is one of my favorite fast dishes on a cold winter day. My husband and I like to eat this soup out of mugs in front of the fireplace.Mary Ann Morgan, Cedartown, Georgia
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shoepeg corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean and bacon soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 13 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12 servings (4
Nutrition Facts: One 1-1/3-cup serving (prepared with reduced-fat cheese) equals 328 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 18 g protein.