Says Ellen Govertsen of Wheaton, Illinois: “This hearty side dish has colorful green snow peas, red pepper and just a hint of lemon to give it a fresh springtime taste. It can be served either warm or cool.”
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley and salt.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- In a small skillet, saute snow peas and red pepper in oil for 2
- minutes. Add onions; saute 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are
- Remove barley from the heat; stir in the lemon juice, lemon peel and
- vegetable mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 148 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 302 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.