Vanilla Wafer Fruitcake
This was my dear grandmother's recipe. She was a farmer's wife and a very good cook. Even folks who don't like fruitcake seem to like this one.
40 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 pound candied cherries
- 1/2 pound candied pineapple slices
- 1 pound walnuts, pecans or combination of both
- 1 pound vanilla wafers
- 1/4 pound raisins
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- Set aside four whole cherries, two pineapple slices and 16 pecan or
- walnut halves. Chop remaining fruit and nuts. Crush vanilla wafers;
- combine the chopped fruit, nuts and raisins and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat eggs well. Stir in sugar, salt and milk. Combine
- wafer/nut mixture with egg mixture. Pack into a waxed paper-lined
- 10-in. tube pan. Decorate top with reserved whole fruit and nuts.
- Bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Run a sharp
- knife around edge; turn cake out of pan, then back over again so
- decorations are on top. Cake can be made ahead and frozen; taste
- improves with age. Yield: about 40 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 183 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium,