I use homemade vanilla sugar to bake angel food cake, cookies and various fillings. You can also use vanilla beans to infuse simple syrup, rice pudding and fruit sauces. Next on my list of things to try is homemade vanilla extract. &mdash:Jackie Termont, Richmond, Virginia
96 ServingsPrep: 5 minutes + standing
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- Place sugar in an airtight container. Split vanilla bean lengthwise;
- using the tip of a sharp knife, scrape seeds from the center into
- sugar. Bury vanilla bean in sugar. Cover and let stand for at least
- 24 hours. Use as regular, granulated sugar, discarding bean as it
- loses its flavor. Yield: 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 teaspoon equals 16 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein.