This recipe was given to me by my aunt, who often prepared it for her own family. My family just loves the vanilla flavor and the sesame seeds.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, toss the oats, walnuts, coconut and sesame seeds. In
- a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the oil, brown
- sugar, honey, water and vanilla until sugar is dissolved (do not
- boil). Pour over oat mixture and stir to coat evenly. Pour into two
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 275° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown, stirring
- every 15 minutes. Cool, stirring occasionally. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: 8 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 539 calories, 30 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 21 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 12 g protein.