I combined recipes to create these heart-shaped cookies for my Valentine's Day, but you can enjoy them anytime. My children are grown, but I still bake the cookies for my husband and myself and for others.
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Prepared vanilla frosting and red colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, beating well. Add
- extracts; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add
- to the creamed mixture until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 3
- hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness.
- Cut with a 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1
- in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove
- to wire racks to cool. Decorate with frosting and colored sugar if
- desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 204 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 162 mg sodium,