If you like stuffed peppers, you’ll love this speedy version from Beth DeWyer of Du Bois, Pennsylvania. It offers all the comforting flavor of the original, but takes just half an hour. “Instead of cooking the instant rice, you can use 2 cups leftover cooked rice if you have it on hand," she suggests.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (26 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- skillet, cook the beef, green peppers and onion over medium-high
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, marinara
- sauce and seasoning blend. Stir in cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and oil;
- sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until
- heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 343 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 469 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.