Unstuffed Pepper Soup
One of my sisters gave me the recipe for this quick-and-easy soup that tastes just like stuffed green peppers. The thick hearty mixture is chock-full of good stuff. Plus, the aroma while it's cooking is wonderful. At 84¢ for each bowl, it's inexpensive to boot.
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 large green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook the beef, green peppers and
- onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in
- the broth, soup, tomatoes and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Add rice and heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 234 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 503 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein.