Two-Tone Grilled Cheese
“My family loves these quick-to-fix sandwiches,” says Rhonda Beckett, who makes them with two kinds of bread and two kinds of cheese. TIP: “I serve them with tomato-vegetable soup and milk for a wholesome nutritious meal,” notes the Independence, Missouri cook.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Spread desired amount of butter over one side of each slice of whole
- wheat bread. Spread mayonnaise over one side of each slice of white
- Place whole wheat bread, buttered side down, on a hot griddle. Layer
- with American and Swiss cheese; top with white bread, mayonnaise
- side up. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 grilled cheese equals 389 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 674 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.