Two-Cheese Tossed Salad
Colorful, hearty ingredients and a delectable dressing make second helpings of this salad hard to resist. Cottage cheese is an unusual but tasty addition. I never have to worry about storing leftovers.
-Barbara Birk, American Fork, Utah
12-14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups torn fresh spinach
- 5 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the first eight ingredients.
- Refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, toss spinach, lettuce,
- mushrooms and cheeses in a large salad bowl. Shake dressing and pour
- over salad. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 145 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.