I'm originally from Oregon and was raised on herb stuffing, but my Southern husband would eat only his mother's corn bread stuffing. So I created this recipe as a compromise and have received many compliments on it.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 9 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 slices bread, toasted and cubed
- 3 cups coarse corn bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 2
- tablespoons drippings; set bacon aside. Saute celery and onion in
- drippings until tender.
- In a large bowl, toss bread, parsley, sage, thyme and rosemary. Add
- celery, onion, broth and bacon; mix gently.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350°
- for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 286 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 716 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.