"My husband, David, and I volunteer at our American Legion post, cooking dinner on Friday nights," says Lee Hawk of San Diego, California. "David, who loves beams, concocted this hearty soup that combines limas and great northerns with cubes of ham and chopped vegetables. I like to serve it with corn bread."
7 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch over; add water to cover by
- 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat;
- cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan. Add
- broth and ham; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1
- hour. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic and ginger; return to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until beans
- and vegetables are tender. Garnish with onions. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 215 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 895 mg sodium,