Turnip Sausage Stew
“This is a delicious stew,” says Carma Blosser of Livermore, Colorado. “The sausage and turnips give it really special flavor.” A slice of crusty bread makes a great mop to clean up any remaining broth!
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. Add the potatoes, carrots, turnip, onion, water, salt
- and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20
- minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat
- through. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-3/4 cups equals 445 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1,069 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 13 g protein.