No holiday meal in our home is complete without this dish handed down by my Finnish grandmother. It makes an excellent complement to turkey, beef or ham.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place turnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15 minutes or until tender and
- drain. Transfer turnips to a bowl and mash. Add the egg, sugar,
- butter and salt.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer
- reads 160°. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 192 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 479 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.