Turkey Tomato Soup
"Turkey and tomatoes are high on my list of favorite foods," writes Carol Brunelle of Ascutney, Vermont. "My husband grows the best tomatoes ever...and I made up this recipe to complement both ingredients. It's wonderful anytime of year, but I prefer to make it when the tomatoes, green peppers, basil and garlic are all fresh from our garden."
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 4 pounds tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 8 large tomatoes)
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 3 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- Minced fresh basil, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in turkey and
- macaroni; heat through. Garnish with fresh basil if desired. Yield:
- 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 150 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 221 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 vegetable.