Turkey-Tomato Pasta Sauce
We love pasta dishes, especially easy low-fat ones. This savory spaghetti sauce is a favorite at our house. The chunky mixture is good ladled over any type of pasta. Sherry Hulsman of Louisville, Kentucky
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, onions and garlic in
- oil over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, basil and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve over spaghetti; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup sauce with 1 tablespoon Parmesan (calculated without spaghetti) equals 156 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 576 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.