Turkey Salad on Wheat
Inspired by the turkey salad at a local deli, I developed this version to suit my family's tastes. You can serve it on whole-grain bread for a filling meal or on croissants for an elegant luncheon. Precooked bacon and leftover turkey make it a snap to fix.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- 1-1/4 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices whole wheat bread
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add mayonnaise
- and pepper; toss to coat. Spread on six slices of bread; top with
- remaining bread. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One sandwich (prepared with reduced-fat Swiss cheese and fat-free mayonnaise) equals 268 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 618 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.