Family and friends will never guess that sandwiches this filling and flavorful could be low in fat! Just ask Elizabeth Myers of Williamsport, Pennsylvania, who shares this hefty lunchtime recipe.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free Thousand Island salad dressing
- On four slices of bread, layer the turkey, sauerkraut, cheese and
- salad dressing. Top with remaining bread. Spritz both sides of
- sandwiches with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches on
- both sides until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 310 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 1,398 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.