Turkey Barley Tomato Soup
This low-calorie soup is so quick to prepare and tastes so good. It's a real stomach-filler and warms us up on cold winter days.
-Denise Kilgore of Lino Lakes, Minnesota
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup sliced or baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning, divided
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a Dutch oven, cook the turkey, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning over medium heat until meat is no longer
- pink. Stir in the water, tomatoes and remaining taco seasoning;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add
- barley; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes longer or until barley is
- tender. Stir in oregano. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 275 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 923 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.