Neighborhood squirrels will be envious when you serve these darling acorn-shaped chocolates. The nuts are a nice finishing touch that complements the almond extract in the rich truffles.
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate candy coating (about 1/8 pound)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- Slivered almonds
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave. Stir in cream cheese, water and
- extract until well blended. Chill for 1 hour or until easy to
- handle. Shape teaspoonfuls into slightly oblong balls with one
- flatter end; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate
- for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- In microwave or double boiler, melt candy coating. Dip the flat end
- of each acorn about 1/8 in. into the chocolate, then dip in chopped
- almonds. Insert a slivered almond into the top for a stem. Return to
- waxed paper to harden. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Editor's Note: Candy coating, the product used for dipping chocolate, is found in the baking section of most grocery stores. It is often sold in bulk packages of 1 to 1-1/2 pounds.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 68 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 8 mg sodium,