Traditional Swiss Steak
Our ladies' group held monthly dinners at our church to raise money and this is one of the dishes we served. We never had to advertise these dinners - word about the good food got around quickly.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Combine flour, salt and 1/4
- teaspoon pepper; sprinkle over steak and pound into both sides. In a
- skillet over medium heat, brown steak on both sides in oil.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with onion and
- green pepper. Drizzle with soy sauce; sprinkle with garlic salt and
- remaining pepper.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 215 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 754 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.