Traditional Pita Bread
My husband taught me how to make this pita bread when we were first dating. He always has his eye out for good recipes.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 5 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in salt and
- enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise.
- Divide dough into six pieces; knead each for 1 minute. Roll each into
- a 5-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled,
- about 45 minutes.
- Place upside down on greased baking sheets. Bake at 500° for 5-10
- minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 pita
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 each) equals 115 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 394 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.