Traditional Boiled Dinner
Corned beef is a real treat in our family and we love the savory flavor the vegetables pick up from simmering in the pickling spices. —Joy Strasser, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 25 min.
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium carrots, quartered
- 1 medium onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 small head green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- Prepared horseradish or mustard, optional
- Place the brisket and contents of spice packet in a large kettle or
- Dutch oven. Add the peppercorns, bay leaves and enough water to
- cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or
- until meat is almost tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cabbage, cover and simmer for 15-20
- minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves and peppercorns. Thinly
- slice meat; serve with vegetables and horseradish or mustard if
- desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 8 ounce-weight calculated without optional ingredients equals 558 calories, 34 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 2,797 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein.