Tortellini Caesar Salad
This salad was served at a dear friend's baby shower by a health-conscious friend, who suggested the dressing be prepared with low-fat or fat-free ingredients. Either way, the creamy dressing has plenty of garlic flavor and coats the pasta, romaine and croutons nicely.
-Tammy Steenbock, Sembach Air Base, Germany
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup seasoned salad croutons
- Halved cherry tomatoes, optional
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, milk, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese,
- lemon juice and garlic.
- Drain tortellini and rinse in cold water; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add romaine and remaining Parmesan. Just before serving, drizzle
- with dressing; toss to coat. Top with croutons and tomatoes if
- desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with fat-free mayonnaise and fat-free milk and without tomatoes) equals 144 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.