Too-Easy Tortellini Soup
In Chesterfield, Missouri, Beth Daley combines packaged tortellini and canned goods to quickly bring this hearty soup to the table. Basil and Parmesan cheese round out the flavor of this family favorite.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and coarsely ground pepper, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in tortellini.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and basil. Simmer for 4-6
- minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in the vinegar. Sprinkle with
- cheese and pepper if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth; calculated without Parmesan cheese) equals 276 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 457 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 fat.