Tomato Stuffed Zucchini
"This is one of our favorite vegetable dishes and a good way to use summer squash," says Marilyn Newcomer of Sun City, California. "It has such a nice Italian flavor that sometimes I double or triple the dish and serve it to company. It can be fixed ahead and warmed up at dinnertime."
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican cheese blend
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- Dash each salt, garlic powder, dried oregano and pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard pulp, leaving
- a 1/4-in. shell. Place zucchini in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 2-4 minutes or until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, Monterey Jack cheese, parsley,
- salt, garlic powder, oregano and pepper. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 zucchini half (prepared with reduced-fat cheese) equals 79 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.