Tomato-Squash Appetizer Pizza
I was looking for quick weeknight meals that would use the fresh herbs from my windowsill garden when I decided to create this seasonal flatbread pizza. To my surprise, I discovered it also made a fabulous appetizer.
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces each) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh basil, oregano and chives
- Roll dough into a 14-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased
- baking sheet. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Sprinkle with
- salt. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Brush crust with oil. Top with mozzarella cheese, squash, tomato,
- Parmesan cheese, pepper and herbs. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until
- cheese is melted. Yield: 24 pieces.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 81 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 169 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.