Tomato Soup with Cheese Tortellini
“Tortellini gives this garden-fresh tomato soup stick-to-your-ribs goodness,“ says Susan Peck, a busy mother of four. It's a staple on her table in Republic, Missouri.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup dried cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the
- tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain well and set
- aside. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan; add tortellini and heat through. Garnish
- with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 114 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 609 mg sodium,