Tomato Meat Loaf
"My husband is on a low-fat diet, so I try to make dishes that are lower in fat, sugar and salt but still have flavor," offers Linda Begley of Stoutsville, Missouri. Her easy-to-fix meat loaf, topped with slices of tomato, is tender, tasty and cuts nicely.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 slice white bread, crumbled
- 4 saltines, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef
- over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- Arrange tomato slices over loaf. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat
- is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Using two
- large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 299 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 442 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch,