Tomato Juice Cocktail
“This recipe came from my mother-in-law and many say it’s the best tomato juice they’ve ever tasted,” shares Beverly Cottrell in Ipswich, Massachusetts. “It has a little eye-opening kick to it that’s wonderful!”
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. + chilling
- 3/4 pound tomatoes (about 4 small), sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sliced celery
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are
- tender. Cool.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a blender; cover and process until smooth.
- Refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 69 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 vegetable.