Tomato Eggplant Bake
Cheesy and delicious, this casserole features a crisp crumb topping. It's a good meatless entree for a summer-time meal.Faye Wortman, Evansville, Indiana
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium eggplant (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Salt to taste
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place eggplant slices in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt
- and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- Layer the eggplant, tomato and onion in a lightly greased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with
- basil. Cover and bake at 450° for 20 minutes.
- Toss the bread crumbs and remaining butter. Arrange mozzarella cheese
- over the vegetables; sprinkle with crumb mixture and Parmesan
- cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Yield: 6 servings.