Tomato Couscous Soup
"I like this simple soup because the fresh tomato flavor really stands out," notes Joyce Woldt of Waupaca, Wisconsin. "It's a favorite at our house alongside a toasted cheese sandwich."
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons uncooked couscous
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add
- the broth, tomatoes and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in couscous and salt. Let stand for 5
- minutes. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 152 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.