Tomato Black Bean Salsa
This fresh-tasting medley bursts with homegrown garden goodness, including tomatoes, red pepper and crunchy corn. "Serve this salsa in the traditional way with baked tortilla chips and veggiesor as a condiment for fish," suggests Chris Schnittka of Charlottesville, Virginia.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with tortilla
- chips. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1/2 cup salsa) equals 80 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.