“Dare to deviate from tomato salsa and try this tomatillo-based version for a deliciously addictive change of pace. It’s fantastic on its own with tortilla chips or served as a condiment alongside a variety of meats." —Lori Kostecki, Wausau, Wisconsin
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 medium tomato, quartered
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add tomatillos.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Place the tomatillos, tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, lime
- juice and seasonings in a food processor. Cover and process until
- blended. Serve with chips. Yield: 2-1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without chips) equals 19 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 133 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.