Toffee coconut Bars
This easy-to-make treat is the perfect end to a casual meal with friends or family. If you have leftovers, send a few home with each of your guests. Joeanne Steras - Garrett, PA
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until
- crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at
- 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown; cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg, brown sugar, vanilla and baking powder
- until blended. Stir in coconut and pecans. Spread over crust. Bake
- for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut
- into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 bar equals 153 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.